Thursday, August 15, 2013
I made some of these shirts last March, but needed to make a new one for Taylor's first time to the "happiest place on earth." It is so easy to do and so cute for Disneyland. It's best to find a shirt solid shirt you already have and some scrap material. I turned the material to the back side and drew with a pen a mickey mouse head. Then I cut it out and pinned it to the front.
Then I sewed it along the edge about a quarter of an inch in.
Then I made a sparkly bow and sewed it to the front and now it's a Minnie shirt.
Below is one I made earlier and I embroidered Minnie Mouse to the front also.
We went to Disneyland with my Mother-in-Law so I made her one to match us :).
And here they are in action!
Here are some I made last Halloween!
Monday, August 12, 2013
Below you can see how I made the ruffle. I actually left the edges on both sides of it raw, meaning they are cut and not hemmed under or anything. Makes it really easy that way and I like that old fashioned handmade look. To learn how to make this ruffle easily on your machine go HERE.
Below you can see how much I gathered it to fit the rectangle edge. Then I pinned the right sides together, also shown below, and then sewed them together.
Wednesday, August 7, 2013
I know you can google the measurements of how much batting to get if you want to start from scratch but this way it also already has the old folds and the right form.
Next you can either use the batting from the bumper or the old material to measure how long and wide to cut your new fabric.
I decided to just use one pattern on each side instead of the multiple like my old one.
Below I just wanted to show how I saved the ruffle from my old bumper since it matched my new fabric.
Below you can see how I have the exact measurement of fabric to cover the batting. Always leave a 1/4 inch extra on all sides for seam allowance.
My little helper. :)
Next I attached the ruffle to my flower pattern.
Pin right sides together and sew along edge.
Then I had to make all the ties that attach to the crib. This part was really tedious. I measured the length of my old ties and cut out 28 strips of a different pattern.
Fold the strip in half right sides together and sew along the top edge and one side, leaving the bottom edge open to turn it right side out.
Next I pinned the other fabric right sides together and sewed them together. Below is what it looks like opened up.
Then right sides together again and sew the tops together.
So now you have a long tube with ends open. And for the fun part of turning it right side out. I just shoved my hand in there and slowly pulled and pushed it along.
Next you have to pull the fabric over the old batting. This was kind of hard and took some time but its possible :).
Once I got it all the way through I pinned the edges inside each other and sewed along the edge.
It's hard to see below but using three pins I pinned along the old fold of the batting and lined my ties up with this fold.
Then I sewed down this fold. Kind of tricky shoving the bumper through your machine.
Yay, it's finally done!