Craft Cook Sew Decorate Image Map

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How to gather for ruffles and abstract tank top design





So, I cut 3 strips of fabric about 8 inches long and used the pinking scissors on the edges.


Next change the stitch length on your sewing machine to the biggest it will go.



I always back stitch the beginning edge, but make sure the you don't back stitch the ending edge.



So once you stitch the whole length of the fabric without back stitching the ending edge, leave a couple of inches of string be for you cut it.


Next , start pulling the top string and pushing along the gathered material to the end of the cut fabric.


Once you got your desired gathered look, tie the open end into a knot and trim it.

Now you should have 3 gathered strips. You can do many things with these ruffly pieces.





I was feeling like doing something funky, so I just went with it.


I just started pinning all three into a ruffly combo.

Next, change your stitch length back to normal and restitch over the ruffled strips.




Now, I have my ruffled cuteness I decided to add a little tie to the strap.










Kind of looks like a bird :).

2 comments:

Emily said...

I love it! So simple and unique. If only I sewed. I am excited about this blog. You are so talented. Inspiring.

Danen & Brittany Johanson said...

I LOVE this idea!!! I can't wait to try it myself!!! And I'm going to Wal-mart TODAY!! I will have to pick up the stuff and dust off my sewing machine!! Thanks for these AWESOME ideas!!!!!